Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tidbits of Interest

     I find myself wandering into bookstores lately and heading straight to the history section!  After skimming titles and authors, it's so difficult to make a choice.  My heightened awareness of primary sources peak my interest in so many novels previously unbeknownst to me.  But at least I know where I'll head on my next trip to the bookstore!  The class I participated in this summer sparked many interests into different periods of history that I previously would have overlooked.  Now, my bookshelf is crammed with many books I look forward to reading...if only I had more time!

    I recently had the opportunity to meet Ted Gup during one of his book talks at the Andover Bookstore on November 18. His new release, A Secret Gift, tells all about a benefactor named Mr. B. Virdot who pleased many people responding to a newspaper ad during the Great Depression.  Mr. Gup uses primary sources that were found in a suitcase in his grandmother's attic.  It was so interesting to hear this story brought to life by a wonderful storyteller and to see such great use of these important documents!

    Reading Joseph Ellis' Founding Brothers, I was intrigued to learn the intimate details about the lives of some of history's most important men.  Ellis will be speaking about his newest book, First Family:  Abigail and John Adams at the Portsmouth Music Hall in Portsmouth, NH on Tuesday, November 30.  Tickets cost $13, and books for signing can be pre-purchased with a voucher. 

FIRST FAMILY: ABIGAIL AND JOHN ADAMS by Joseph Ellis
 
     On a different note, students in my fourth grade class had the opportunity to listen to a re-enactor tell all about what life may have been like in 1775.  Pictures will shortly follow.  In addition, last Tuesday, my students watched as fifth graders from our school read different first-hand accounts of the events of April 19, 1775.  We learned that we truly don't know who fired those first shots and just how confusing pointing fingers can be!  More details and pictures tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment